WINTER BREAK DAY CAMPS FOR KIDS
Register kids ages 6-12 for naturalist-led day camps on no school days throughout the year! Explore outdoors, get messy and learn by doing. Spend days off in nature’s classroom while having fun playing in the park at North Mississippi.
Wild Winter Survival
Wed-Fri December 26th-28th 8am-4pm
Develop your wilderness skills by learning to trek through snow on snowshoes, craft survival shelters, track animal signs and more. We’ll explore outdoors, play games and make art. Do you have what it takes to survive in the wild winter world? Registration Fee $90.
Wed-Fri December 2nd-4th 8am-4pm
Are you curious about the wonders of the cosmos? Then, embark on an adventure through the cold depths of outer space…with the help of your imagination. Learn about amazing astronomical phenomena, complete missions with your crew and conduct experiments for extreme environments. Sign up to be the ultimate space explorer! Registration Fee $90.
Day camp is based out of Kroening Interpretive Center. Every day please bring a lunch, snack and water bottle. Dress for the weather and a mess.
Nature Nuts Play Group Wednesdays
Come with your little one to play and have fun in nature with other children and parents/guardians. During this four week series each day will be different, but will have nature themes involving plants, animals, and seasons. Enjoy the fall together! For kids up to age 5 with an adult. Registration Fee $16 (for 4 weeks of classes
Nov 28th – Dec 19th 10:45 – 11:45am
Jan 16th – Feb 6th 10:45 – 11:45am
Join us for a morning of bird watching! We’ll hike through prairie, woodland and along the river while keeping our eyes and ears open for our feathered friends. First Saturday of each Month. Binoculars provided.
- Winter Birds – Dec 1st 9-10:30am Discover the winter bird cast of characters.
- Winter Woodpeckers – Jan 5th 4-5:30pm Go on the lookout for the bright flashes of woodpeckers on the bare trees. Ages 8 & up.
Outdoor Exploration & Nature Art
- Ginger-bird Houses – Dec 8th 1:30-3pm Invite birds into your backyard this winter by crafting an edible snack house for them. These feeders are a lovely decoration and a great food source for our bird friends that brave the cold. $10 all supplies included. Kids under 13 free
- Fur, Tracks and Scat – Dec 29th 1-2:30pm Learn how to spot signs of our local animals by examining their fur, tracks, and scat. Create your own tracks and try passing our identification challenges. Then test your skills outside by searching for animal signs in the park. Ages 6 & up.
- New Year Resolutions Hike – Jan 5th 1-2:30pm Do you have a New Year’s Resolution to be more active, to go outside more, or try new things? Take the first step on a naturalist-led snowshoe hike along our prairie, woodland, and river trails and start the year off right!
Family Funday Sundays
- Turkey Time – Nov 25th 1:30-3pm Get ready for goofy gobbles as we discover more about turkeys! Play games and have fun investigating feathers, tail fans, snoods and feet to learn more about these big birds.
- Sleep, Flee, Freeze – Dec 16th 1:30-3pm When the cold winds of winter start to blow and the ground gets covered in snow, where do the animals go? Learn about hibernation, migration other ways animals survive our Minnesota winters. Meet live animals and find out how their bodies protect them through the winter.
- Winter Arts & Animals – Jan 13th 1-3pm Come learn about our neighborhood native species. Meet some MN animals up-close, then let nature inspire your creation of winter themed artwork to take home.
Public programs are FREE for all ages unless otherwise noted and children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a registered adult.
Free Snowshoeing Each Weekend
Beginning December 22nd*, get some wonderful exercise while recreating in nature by checking out a pair of snowshoes to explore the park! Pre-registration is encouraged, but not required.
Saturdays 11am-1pm and Sundays 1-3pm.
*Depending on snow conditions: at least 6 inches of snow on the ground is needed.
More Ways to Enjoy the Park
Stop by the front desk to check out binoculars, nature activity packs and nature guides. Talk with a naturalist to meet and learn about our education animals. Maybe even come celebrate your birthday with us at North Mississippi Regional Park
5116 North Mississippi Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55412