Voter Registration














The first step to voting is registering. You can do one of the following:

  • pre-register online or by submitting a paper application in person or by mail
  • register at the polls

All voters must register prior to voting.

You need to re-register to vote if you have:

  • Moved to a new address since you last registered.
  • Changed your name since last being registered.
  • Have not voted at least once in the last 4 years.

*When moving, completing a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service can update your existing registration. When getting a new or updated driver’s license or state ID card, including changing your address on these IDs, there is also an option to update your registration.

Pre-register to vote now online, by mail, or in-person

  • Pre-registration ends 21 days before each regularly scheduled primary or general election.
  • A voter registration application submitted in-person or by mail must be received by election officials by 5 p.m. on the date of the deadline.
  • Online applications can be submitted until 11:59 p.m. on the date of the deadline.
  • Newly registered voters will receive a postcard from the election office telling them where to vote on Election Day.

Registering online

If you need to register or update your registration, you can complete your registration online with the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State:

To complete a voter registration application online, you must:

  • Be eligible to register and vote in Minnesota.
  • Provide an email address.
  • Provide one of the following identification numbers: from a Minnesota-issued driver’s license or Minnesota ID card, or the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.

Complete a voter registration application to submit in-person or by mail

Voter registration applications can be completed and returned in-person or by mail to the county or state elections office. Voter registration applications sent in by hard copy must contain original signatures.

Election Day registration

You must register and vote where you live. Use the Polling Place Finder to find your polling place.

In Minnesota, you can register at your polling place on Election Day. This includes registering when you go to vote if you are voting early. The list of documents voters can show as proof of residence has been expanded.

Voters may register by providing any one of these proofs of residence:

  • Valid Minnesota driver’s license or learner’s permit, or a receipt for either, showing current name and address in the precinct.
  • Valid Minnesota identification card or receipt for one, showing current name and address in the precinct.
  • Tribal ID containing the current name and address in the precinct, signature and picture of the individual.
  • Voter Voucher – a person may vouch for another voter, signing an oath confirming personal knowledge of the address of the voter who is registering, subject to the following guidelines:
    • A voucher must be a pre-registered voter in the same precinct or a voter who registers in the same precinct on Election Day with one of the other authorized proofs of residence.
    • A person may vouch for a limit of eight voters.
    • A voter who is vouched for cannot vouch for another voter.
  • Employee Voucher– must be identified on a Certified List of Employees of a Residential Facility from a facility in the precinct or have other employee ID.
    • A residential facility may vouch for an unlimited number of residents.
    • Facilities must provide the Residential Facilities Vouching Form to election officials 20 days prior to the election.
  • Late Notice of Registration – letter mailed by election headquarters within the two weeks prior to Election Day, showing the address of the voter in the precinct. If you receive this letter, follow all instructions and bring it to your polling place.
  • Previous registration in the same precinct – valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address.
  • MN post-secondary student photo ID – if your school has provided a housing list to the election officials. They have student housing lists for students living on-campus in Minneapolis at the University of Minnesota, Augsburg College, North Central University, St. Catherine University, Art Institutes International, and Minneapolis College of Art & Design.

If you are a college student living at school, you can choose whether to register at home or at school, but not both! You can always vote by absentee ballot, but be sure you have the proper information and identification since rules differ from state to state.

For more information and links to specific documents visit: or